The Tudor Bakehouse Limited - Apprentice Baker & Hospitality Assistant
The apprentice’s primary role is to assist the head baker in meeting the day’s production goals while maintaining high levels of food hygiene and cleanliness. That means the assistance of preparing the doughs, letting them rise, shaping them, proofing them, and finally baking and cooling them.
Also assisting the preparation of pastry doughs, shaping and filling them as needed by measuring batters into the appropriate pans, using a scale or scoops of a known size to ensure consistency and portion control.
The apprentice’s production duties alternate with prep and cleaning duties. Among prep duties, for example, the apprentice assists the head baker by mixing up large batches of dough ahead of time, then to store them in the fridge for later use.
They must be prepared and packaged according to food safety standards, then labelled used within an appropriate time frame. The apprentice will also be involved with the Confectionary side of the business too. The head baker guides the apprentice who is expected to cover more responsibilities independently over time.
General duties the apprentice is asked to assist with include but are not limited to:
- Checking production schedule to determine variety and quantity of goods to bake.
- Accurately following recipe formulas and weighing ingredients.
- Weighing (Weigh materials in order to ensure appropriate quantity) and measuring ingredients, using measuring cups and spoons.
- Mixing ingredients to form dough or batter by hand or using electric mixer. Rolling and shaping dough and cutting dough in uniform portions with knife, divider, cookie cutter.
- Cut dough into equal parts to ensure that each batch has a uniform appearance.
- Molding dough in desired shapes, placing dough in appropriate pans that are greased or floured, and trimming overlapping edges (where appropriate). Where appropriate wet dough, place herbs on top or top with oil.
- Placing pans in ovens and set oven temperature. Monitoring ovens:
- Ensuring that correct quantities of batches are being made. If products are not appropriate for selling for any reason (eg being burnt, have fallen on floor etc), check with Manager if replacement needs to be baked.
- Making sure that baking equipment is cleaned and maintained properly. Cleaning bakery machinery, equipment, storage and preparation areas.
- Ensuring compliance with food safety standards.
- Overseeing cleanliness and sanitation of work area and equipment.
- Replacing of sold baked products with fresh baked goods.
- Ensuing that baking equipment is fully functional and stored correctly.
- Cleaning areas after use.
Front of House responsibilities:
- Provide a confident and efficient customer service.
- Ensure the coffee shop is welcoming, presentable and safe at all times.
- Prepare, present and serve food & drinks.
- Correctly process sales through the till, handle cash and card payments.
- Set up and clean tables, chairs, counter and display areas; clear used crockery and maintain a clean environment.
Working week: Mon – Fri, 08:00 to 16:30, 30 min lunch (40 hours per week)
Weekly wage: £160.00
Training to be Provided
In house training as well as a Nationally Recognised Qualification at Intermediate Level in Professional Cookery to be completed through Norfolk Training Services Ltd. You will also complete Functional Skills at level 1 in English, Maths & ICT. Further to this you will need to complete an online test and workbook to gain your technical certificate.
About the Employer
15 The Thoroughfare
At The Tudor Bakehouse we just love to bake and because we love what we do each day most of the bakers have been here with us for many years. What better way to start the day than to get your hands stuck into making some tasty breads or cakes? Plus you get to finish your working day before everyone else does.
Being a baker is a great trade. It’s brilliant to see people eating what we bake and coming in to request one of our specialities like our famous Tudor Bakehouse Spuddies.
We’re like a big family here and we’re so lucky to work in the great market towns in which we live like Diss, Eye, Harleston and Long Stratton too. Between us we have nearly 100 years of experience and can bake almost anything, however we are always keen to learn something new and rise to the challenge.